Are you looking for a less expensive alternative to so-called invisible braces (Invisalign) which doesn’t take as long? If so, then you may want to consider a procedure called six months smiles in Sydney. So what is it exactly and how does it compare to Invisalign braces? These are valid questions and are well worth investigating.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a cheaper alternative considering how much braces cost for adults and teenagers. However, it is important to know what you are getting and what to expect out of it.
Six-month smiles before and after – is it for you?
As the name implies, Six Month Smiles require wearing transparent brace intended to straighten your front teeth in about six months. It accomplishes fast results since dentists primarily administer them to fix cosmetic issues and straighten front teeth.
While for some it may look like the ideal solution, it is essential to understand that there’s a trade-off for orthodontic therapy that only takes around six months. More traditional orthodontic solutions straighten every one of your teeth and improve bite in about 12 to 18 months.
What is Six-Month Smiles?
Six-Month Smiles is a type of braces system that specifically addresses the alignment of the front teeth. Unlike traditional braces that may take a longer time, Six-Month Smiles aims to deliver results in a shorter timeframe, typically around six months.
How Does It Work?
The treatment involves the use of clear brackets and tooth-colored wires, making it a more discreet option compared to traditional braces. While it is not entirely invisible like some aligners, its subtle appearance is often more aesthetically pleasing to adults who may be hesitant about noticeable orthodontic work.
Is It Only Six Months?
The name can be a bit misleading. While some cases may indeed be completed in six months, the duration can vary depending on individual factors such as the complexity of the misalignment and how well a patient follows the treatment plan. It can range from four to nine months in many cases.
Candidacy for Six-Month Smiles
Six-Month Smiles is generally suitable for adults and older teenagers who have cosmetic concerns about the alignment of their front teeth. It is not intended to address major bite issues but focuses on improving the appearance of the teeth that show when you smile.
Before and After
Before deciding on Six-Month Smiles, it’s essential to understand the potential outcomes. The treatment can lead to a more aligned and aesthetically pleasing smile, addressing issues like gaps, crowding, or crookedness in the front teeth.
Consultation with an Orthodontist
If you’re considering Six-Month Smiles, it’s advisable to schedule a consultation with an orthodontist. They will assess your specific case, discuss your goals, and determine if this treatment is the right fit for you.
Six-month smiles vs. Invisalign
It is important to understand that the Six Month Smiles treatment is not faster because it realigns your teeth quicker; it is faster because it just straightens the front of your teeth. This is why it is significantly more affordable than Invisalign.
The fact that the procedure only straightens the front teeth means that it does not improve bite at all. In some cases, patients find that their bite is worse after the therapy. By comparison, Invisalign not only straightens the teeth but also improves proper function and overall dental health.
- Focus: Six-Month Smiles is primarily geared towards improving the cosmetic appearance of the front teeth. It concentrates on the visible teeth when you smile.
- Materials: It utilizes clear brackets and tooth-colored wires, providing a discreet appearance compared to traditional braces.
- Treatment Duration: Despite the name, the actual treatment time can range from four to nine months, depending on individual cases.
- Suitability: Ideal for adults and older teenagers with cosmetic concerns about the alignment of their front teeth.
- Adjustments: Requires periodic adjustments by the orthodontist to ensure progress.
- Focus: Invisalign addresses a broader range of orthodontic issues, including bite problems. It is more comprehensive than Six-Month Smiles.
- Materials: Invisalign uses clear, removable aligners made of a smooth, comfortable plastic material, making them nearly invisible.
- Treatment Duration: The average treatment time is around 12 to 18 months, depending on the complexity of the case.
- Suitability: Suitable for various orthodontic issues, including crowded teeth, gaps, overbites, underbites, and crossbites.
- Adjustments: Involves changing aligners every one to two weeks, with fewer in-person visits compared to traditional braces.
Choosing Between the Two:
- Cosmetic Concerns vs. Comprehensive Treatment: If your primary concern is the cosmetic appearance of your front teeth, and you’re looking for a quicker solution, Six-Month Smiles might be a suitable choice. However, if you have broader orthodontic issues or prefer a more discreet option, Invisalign could be the better fit.
- Treatment Time: Consider your timeline and how soon you want to achieve your desired results. Six-Month Smiles offers a quicker turnaround for certain cases.
- Comfort and Visibility: Invisalign aligners are removable and nearly invisible, providing more comfort and flexibility in daily life. Six-Month Smiles, while discreet, involves fixed brackets and wires.
Still, if yours is a relatively minor case and you are more concerned about aesthetics, 6-month smiles might just be the ideal alternative. The important thing is that patients are aware of the constraints so that the results match the expectations.